Race Phone Service is designed to allow you to reach emergency response services by dialing 911 just like traditional phone service. However, Race's 911 Service operates differently and there may be circumstances when service may be limited or not available.
If you have Enhanced 911 (E911), when you dial 911 your telephone number and location are automatically sent to the 911 operator during the call.
- You do not have to do anything differently to use E911; the number for dialing emergency services is still the same: 9-1-1.
- Race provides E911 in all areas where E911 is available.
- Always prominently display the “E911 stickers” provided with your equipment.
- Remember that 911 will be unavailable during an Internet / Network outage. Please make alternative 911 dialing arrangements by, for example, ensuring you always have a mobile or other phone available.
- Remember to inform all persons who may be present at the location where you use Race Service of the circumstances under which 911 may not be available or may be limited in comparison to traditional 911 service.
Power Outages and E911
A power outage in either the network or in your home could affect your ability to dial 911. A battery backup can be installed for your Race Voice Modem to provide additional hours of service during a power outage.
General Tips for using 911
- When you dial 911, be prepared to confirm your current location and call-back number with the 911 operator who answers your call.
- Do not hang up on the 911 operator unless you are told to do so by the operator.
- If, for any reason, you are disconnected with the 911 operator, please immediately re-dial 911.
E911 Frequently Asked Questions
I recently moved and just hooked up my services on my own. My Race Voice service seems to be working. Do I still need to contact Race?
Yes. If you have not informed Race of your new address, your 911 calls may be directed to the wrong emergency authorities or the wrong address may be transmitted with your E911 call. These errors will occur even if you are otherwise able to make calls using your Race Voice service.
What if I am moving?
If you contact us before moving to transfer your services, your E911 information will automatically update to your new address.
How can I get more E911 information or confirm that Race has the right E911 information for me?
Please contact us.